Just in time for the September primary, the Food Bank of Delaware will host Food for Thought, a conversation with candidates running for state legislature, on Thursday, August 21 at its Newark facility and Wednesday, September 3 at its Milford facility.
“Sponsoring this policy discussion is very important for the health and food security of all Delawareans,” said Food Bank of Delaware President and CEO Patricia Beebe. “We take very seriously the role of educating our elected officials and candidates for political office and providing an opportunity for them to process, learn and ask questions regarding hunger and nutrition issues.”
Food for Thought will offer local candidates running for the Delaware State Senate and House the opportunity to voice their stance on issues related to food insecurity, poverty and nutrition. Following brief prepared remarks by the candidates, the floor will be opened to the public for a question and answer session.
Food for Thought aims to educate the community before heading to the polls on September 9 and raises awareness of how legislation affects day-to-day service to hungry people throughout the state and how community members can change the shape of legislation through their political involvement.
When: Thursday, August 21, 2014; 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. (Newark)/Wednesday, September 3, 2014; 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. (Milford)
Where: Food Bank of Delaware, 14 Garfield Way, Newark & 1040 Mattlind Way, Milford
8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast and networking
8:30 a.m. – 9:10 a.m. – Welcome and remarks from candidates
9:10 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. – Audience Q&A
Confirmed candidates (Newark event):
- Jeff Porter (Candidate, State House 12)
- Paul Baumbach (Incumbent, State House 23)
- Matt Lenzini (Candidate, State House 15)
- Steven Newton (Candidate, State House 22)
- Bryan Townsend (Incumbent, State Senate 11)
- Lynne Newlin (Candidate, State House 11)
- John Mackenzie (Candidate, State House 22)
- Bethany Hall-Long (Incumbent, State Senate 10)
- James Burton (Candidate, State House 15)
Confirmed candidates (Milford event):
- Pat Emory (Candidate, State Senate 18 – Primary)
- Claire Snyder-Hall (Candidate, State Senate 6)
- Dave Wilson (Incumbent, State House 35)
- Gary Wolfe (Candidate, State Senate 18 – Primary)
- Paulette Rappa (Candidate, State House 37)
- Ruth Briggs King (Incumbent, State House 37)
- Kevin Robbins (Candidate, State House 33)
- Ron Gray (Incumbent, State House 38)
- Pete Kramer (Candidate, State House 29)
To attend Food for Thought, please register by contacting Ashley Michini, Food Bank of Delaware Policy & Advocacy Coordinator, at (302) 292-1305 ext. 206 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited. Complementary continental breakfast will be provided.