By Kat Caudle, Volunteer Coordinator, Newark
As National Volunteer Week winds down, I want to take a few moments to thank our volunteers. This week we’ve spotlighted several groups and individuals who have helped make a difference, but there are so many others who work just as hard! We are truly grateful for every volunteer that walks through the doors of the Food Bank, even when they’re unexpected. To put some perspective on the Food Bank’s volunteers here are some numbers to think about:
In the last year Food Bank Volunteers have:
- Donated 37,000 hours, equaling 19 full-time staff members
- Helped pack more than 1,000 backpacks a week
- Helped make hundreds of meal boxes a month
- Helped stuff and unstuff three full size DART busses
- Helped collect hundreds of turkeys at the annual Turkey Round Up
- Helped make and pack thousands of after-school lunches a week
- Help pack and make even more summer feeding meals
- Helped sort through Millions of pounds of food
- Help sort through thousands of pounds of produce
But most importantly, our volunteers have donated their time and talents to help feed the nearly 242,000 people that are at risk of going hungry every year in Delaware.
It is with humbling gratitude that I thank each and every one of our volunteers that have come through our doors this year. We can’t do our jobs without them! They are the most integral part of our operation and there is not a single day that goes by that our staff isn’t thankful for all that they do! So if you’re reading this and you’re one of our volunteers, thank you—for all that you have done and continue to do! Don’t forget about our Volunteer Appreciation event in Newark next Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.